Sunday, September 16, 2007

Photography from the Christchurch meadow






Nathan here now, with apologies for the infrequency of my posts. I'm trying to sink into Oxford in a kind of subconscious, subliminal sort of way. Periodically it hits me that I actually live here now, but mostly I'm just putting one foot in front of the other: opening a bank account, finding the best places to buy trousers or fennel seed or any number of other things. But everyday life takes place against a backdrop of occasionally quite staggering beauty.

I think I'll like my year here. A lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been there little more than a week and you're already saying "trousers"?

Nathan Koren said...

Yeah, I'm rather self-consciously trying to modify my vocabulary. There are all kinds of weird pitfalls when you believe that you are speaking the same language, but in fact aren't. For example: I must take pains in the future to avoid saying "No thanks; I'm stuffed" to my server at the end of a good meal. Over here, being "stuffed" is entirely a sexual matter...

So, having made that gaffe on the very first night here, I'm now trying to say "trousers" rather than "pants," and "shop" rather than "store," and generlly use every other British-ism I can get my hands on.

Cheerio!