Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Moment in Malawi

(With all due apologies for not posting in forever and ever...)

After far too long, Desirée and I are together again, this time in Johannesburg, South Africa. It was a long schlep to get here. I took a flight from London to Abu Dhabi to Johannesburg, and what with various buses and mix-ups in between, it took about 30 hours from leaving my doorstep to arriving at my hotel.

The Abu Dhabi airport, where I had a six hour layover, is a wonder to behold. It's surprisingly small (albeit not for long -- they're currently building a multi-billion-dollar addition, because in the UAE something doesn't even officially exist unless you've dropped a few billion on it), and feels like the inside of a magic mushroom crossed with a tokamak.



I thought that it would have been altogether improved by the addition of a large circuitous caterpillar smoking a hookah, but maybe that's just me.

Desirée, meanwhile, spent a week with some dear friends in Malawi, where she took the following amazing photo. There's a story behind this photo, but I'll let her tell it some other time.

No comments: