Sunday, October 21, 2007

Children

There is so much I need to write about the work and realizations I’m having here, and it will come, but for now I'll make a lighter post with photos from the last week or two (I’ve decreased the quality of them so they’re easier to upload). One of the things I love about the village where I live is how full it is of children. I’m sure all of Africa is like that. I’ve never considered myself a “kid person” if you know what I mean, but it is difficult to not become one while you’re here. Here are some of my favorite photos of the kids:

This is Habibu. He's an orphan who lives with his aunt and uncle and their 7 children. He is a total troublemaker and one of my favorite kids in Takaungu.




This is Habibu and me at the beach yesterday. I went swimming for hours with Habibu and literally nine other children. I go swimming in shorts and a tee-shirt here instead of my bathing suit due to modesty expectations in the village.




This is Fatuma, Habibu's "cousin sister." She also just goes by Tuma. She is one of the most hyper and brightest children I have met here. She is delightful. Yesterday after she got out of the ocean, she rolled around in the sand for a very long time. Then she found a strange piece of seaweed and decided to have fun with it. Of course she positioned it perfectly on the top of her head.



On a related note, last Saturday was Eid (the end of Ramadan) and it seemed like all of the village boys spent the late afternoon on the beach. I ventured down with a couple other people and there were literally hundreds of children there. These boys were jumping off the low cliff in front of us (yeah, I know, not a good idea) and kept tickling our feet.





Last night I went to the home of Katana, one of the employees of the East African Center, to learn how to make coconut oil from scratch. His wife (who is one of my adult education students and speaks no English) and their four wonderful children (and a couple extras from around the neighborhood) were there. Here I am helping make the coconut oil (I look kind of crazed in this photo; sorry)




This is Frances, who is 21 and not an employee of the EAC, but he is Katana's best friend and always seems to show up (who has kindly offered to be my Kenyan husband, which I have politely and firmly declined):




And here are two of Katana's kids (the eldest and youngest) (the one in pink is his baby sister and the one in a white teeshirt is his brothers's child; that's Kate, another volunteer's, hand on the side of the photo):

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Pics and story!!! I love it!!

Kirk said...

that pic of the boys (are they posing or playing?) is absolutely adorable.

and seaweed hair! ::laughs::

Ridwan said...

Hey there Desiree:

It is good to know that you are well and enjoying your experiences.

Sweet pictures! Sorry for the late comment, I read your earlier post but failed to follow through with a Hello to you and the 'motherland'.

I am looking at tickets right now but it seems too expensive ... so I may have to go travel and then make it back to SA in late January ... the travel where part is what keeps me through the rain in Portland.

Hey you be good and healthy and happy and not married to anyone else and have fun with the kids ... !!!

MissU of course.

Ridwan

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I noticed that over the last several months you blogged often about Cool Globes: Hot Ideas for a Cooler Planet - the innovative public art project in Chicago that represented simple solutions to global warming. Starting Monday, November 26 for one week only, select large and mini-globes from the Cool Globes exhibit in Chicago will be auctioned to raise funds for the Chicago Conservation Corp Clubs, which provide environmental education opportunities for Chicago’s youth.

Among the globes to be auctioned are mini-globes from:

* Bill Clinton
* Robert Redford
* David Schwimmer
* Tobey Maguire
* Eva Mendes
* Rob Corddry
* Jenny Lennon and the cast of “Reno 911”
* Magic Johnson
* Dave Winfield
* Chicago Bear Tommie Harris
* Tony Bennett
* BB King
* Heather Headley
* The Gypsy Kings

The auction will take place online, hosted by eBay, so that even those who don't live in or around Chicago can make an offer. You can view globes or place a bid in the online auction at www.coolglobes.org.

I thought your blog readers might be interested in learning more. Please feel free to reply with any questions and I hope you'll consider writing about this. Thanks!

- Kelly

p.s. Feel free to delete this comment if you don't want it on your page.