Monday, August 27, 2007

Chasing dreams and friends

I am struck by how often Nathan has been declaring himself an ex-architect. It will take me a long time to not think of him as such, since the entirety of the time I've known him (nearly 6 years), that is primarily how he has defined himself. Visiting Arcosanti in particular was interesting, as that is the place he decided to become an architect at age 11, one fateful day in mid-August 1987, and now he is decisively moving on from that chapter in his life. He found this photo of he and his brother Henry from the very day he decided to become an architect, taken in the Arcosanti café:



And here we are in nearly the same place in the café, "glistening" as can be expected:


This period in our life (and our Farewell US Tour in particular) is all about transition, but it is also about coming full circle in many ways to plans and dreams we had for ourselves as children. While our pursuit of our dreams has transpired in an unconventional manner (I don't think I've mentioned to many people that I dreamed of living in Oxford since I was 11 or 12), we seem to be living them out and I'll be honest: it is totally bizarre. And I feel so very, very blessed.

***

We left Arizona behind late Saturday morning and spent the entire day in travel (when you include the 3 hour time difference). While we will miss Arcosanti in particular, we will not miss the heat.

On Friday we spent the day in Phoenix, driving all over tarnation in order to purchase a suit for Nathan's Oxford activities, while it was 110 degrees outside and much more humid than we'd anticipated. We spent Friday night with Nathan's good friends, a couple of whom we hadn't seen in over 5 years. Unfortunately we completely forgot to take any photos that evening. We spent the prior evening in Flagstaff with our friend, Sienna and her fabulously fantastic son, Rowan (who is now 4 1/2 years old). I'll post photos from that evening soon.

And now we are in the Midwest. Michigan, to be exact.

I can't remember the last time I was in the Midwest... I think 9 years ago. As many of you know, I am originally from South Dakota--and Nathan and I had a debate (as we are wont to do) the other day in which I stated that South Dakota was part of the Midwest. According to him, the Dakotas are in the Plains states, not the Midwest. I must say that Michigan looks quite different from South Dakota. There are trees everywhere, and it is green, even at the end of summer.

We are here to visit dear friends. Saturday evening and Sunday all day were spent with some of our favorite people, Kirk and Robin...

.
..and their incredibly adorable daughter (also our godchild):



We wandered around downtown Detroit, and some of its surrounding environs, while enjoying the perfect weather. Last night we went out to eat delicious Indian food and then went out to a nearby billiards bar (it was their first time at such a place in over 5 years... I guess being a parent will do that to you):

We had a wonderfully fun time together. I miss will all three of them so much.

The blessings and mitzvahs of our lives are incredibly apparent on this trip. I find myself continuing to grin ear-to-ear, even in the mellowest and quietest of moments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill says he'd rather have pictures of you & Amanda skinny dipping from later in the evening. :-D

- Dee

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were in Phoenix and didn't tell me. Damnit, girl!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.